Module 8: Diffusion of Innovations





In this post, I am going to be talking about the rise of the smartphone, and looking at it through the lens of the diffusion of innovations theory. Diffusion of Innovations theory was created by Everett Roger who explained why new technologies spread at the rate they do. According to the model, there are five main groups to the Diffusion of Innovations theory. These include early adopters, late adopters, and people who just simply choose to not adopt it at all. Below are the links to all sources. 



Why did it catch on and spread?

The acceptance and diffusion of the innovative smartphone use: A case study of a delivery service company in logistics





Smartphones offered significant advantages over previous mobile devices by combining multiple functionalities. This includes phone, internet, camera, GPS, and others into one device. They seamlessly integrated with apps, social media, email, and other services, making them compatible with user's needs and existing technologies. While initially complex, smartphones became more user-friendly over time, with operating systems like iOS and Android focusing on intuitive interfaces. Trialability through retail stores and service providers allowed potential users to try out smartphones, reducing perceived risk. The visible benefits of smartphones, showcased by early adopters, further encouraged adoption.


Early adopters, often tech enthusiasts and professionals, valued the connectivity, productivity, and entertainment features of smartphones, influencing others. Some people were hesitant to adopt smartphones due to cost, perceived complexity, or satisfaction with existing devices, but over time, affordability and social pressure led to broader adoption. However, certain individuals remain non-adopters due to privacy concerns, digital detox preferences, or financial constraints. The negative consequences of smartphones include privacy issues, addiction, social isolation, and security risks. When considering new communication technologies like social media, individuals must weigh the benefits of connectivity and information access against the costs to privacy, mental health, and productivity, making informed choices based on personal values and lifestyle.



Early Adopters:

 Diffusion of innovations: Smartphones and wireless anatomy learning resources



Tech enthusiasts and professionals who saw the immediate benefits of smartphones were among the first to adopt. They valued the connectivity, productivity, and entertainment features, influencing others by showcasing these advantages. In today's setting when it relates to technology, especially smartphones teenagers and young adults are the first to try them. Some have the mindset of wanting the hottest/latest new device. When a new iPhone comes out my peers are the first to upgrade. 


Late Adopters:



Some people were hesitant due to cost, perceived complexity, or satisfaction with existing devices. Over time, as smartphones became more affordable and ubiquitous, these individuals gradually adopted them. Social pressure and the fear of missing out (FOMO) also played roles. For a personal example, I did not get TikToke until long after it originally came out. This is because I did not want to be addicted like my peers were. 


Non-Adopters:



Certain individuals remain non-adopters due to a lack of interest, technological apprehension, or satisfaction with simpler alternatives. Others might avoid smartphones due to privacy concerns, digital detox preferences, or financial constraints. In today's time, we can see that most non-adopters of the smartphone are elders.  It can be seen as having the mindset of "If you did not need it before, why would you need it now"? For example, my father did not have a smartphone because he believed they had way too much surveillance on society. 


Negative Consequences:



Smartphones collect extensive personal data, posing major privacy risks. Continuous connectivity and social media access can lead to addiction and decreased attention spans. Overuse can harm face-to-face interactions and cause social isolation. Additionally, smartphones are vulnerable to hacking and malware, presenting significant security threats.


Personal Choices:



One of the social media that I decided to not adopt early was TikTok. This was because I personally had no interest in the app or its entertainment. I also later heard about the negative sides of TikTok that I didn't want to be a part of. I would say my number one reason for not adopting TikTok early was because I didn't want to become addicted. I could see how all of my friends would spend hours upon hours on TikTok, and I didn't want to be like that. Eventually, I did download the app a few years later, and it has its benefits. But I hardly ever touch the app. I probably open the app once per week. While I see my peers opening it about 10 to 20 times a day. I do strongly believe that not adopting it early played a role in why I'm not addicted to it like my peers are now. 

If I were to have adopted it earlier, the only benefit for me personally would be that I probably would have more followers. But, I do not care too much about that. So in this case, I do not believe the positive outweighs the negatives. 


Cost Benefit Analysis:



Weighing the cost-benefit analysis of a new communication technology involves comparing its advantages, such as connectivity and convenience, against potential drawbacks like privacy risks and addiction. Evaluate how it fits with your lifestyle and whether the benefits outweigh the negatives for you personally.







Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed it!

Comments