Module 10: The Progressive Era

 





In this post, I will be speaking about my thoughts on anti-war voices in America. This is a topic I haven't really thought about a whole lot. So what I've learned was very insightful.



Why don't we hear anti-war voices?



After watching all three videos for this week and looking through the anti-war sites, I can see how history has influenced the present. I was not even aware that anti-war sites were a thing until I saw these sites. In my personal experience, I don't believe I've heard anybody talk about it at all either. I've also realized that I don't really see or hear about it on the news either. So I do believe there may be some form of censorship behind closed doors that the public isn't aware of. 

Based on the videos for this week, I definitely have a more clear picture of how the government has handled anti-war voices in the past. So I don't think it would be too far off to say that there are probably people, and groups, in government that have similar views that relate to what we've seen in history. 

In history, we can see that anti-war voices were not favored by the government. When looking at today I believe that anti-war voices are still highly not favored by a good percentage of the government. In history, we can see how they tried to silence these voices. Whether that be through different laws, or even throwing people in jail. But, now that our laws are more established in today's era, it's a lot harder for the government to silence these voices by force or through laws. However, I believe they have found a way to decrease these anti-war voices by not giving them much exposure or reach. 

It's possible that the government could work with corporations, mainstream news outlets, search engines, etc. In order to not report on anti-war voices, websites, or other sources. They could purposely not be promoting or giving exposure and awareness to these anti-war websites, topics, or voices. This can be a way of trying to silence these voices through law. It takes away the legal battle aspect of it, and if not detected or proven would be a rather smart way to "silence" these voices. There would be no need for the government to try and push back on anti-war outlets if the majority aren't aware that they even exist.


This is my overall theory on the topic of anti-war voices and outlets. 

References:

Progressive Era Timeline

Near

Terms & Concepts

AntiWar.com

The American Conservative






Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed it!

Comments